Sell Objects Priced by Unit or Allow Customers to Add Quantities of Their Own with Measurement Price Calculator
While selling t-shirts or cell phone covers is easy with WooCommerce, many of us also sell products that aren’t sold in quantities of “1”, such as flooring, wallpaper, or more. The Measurement Price Calculator for WooCommerce will solve the problems you’ve probably encountered in setting up and pricing these products.
The Measurement Price Calculator extension for WooCommerce allows you to add and configure a calculator to your products that are sold in quantities based on their dimensions, square footage, volume, or weight. This allows you to easily sell products which have a known measurement per item. For instance, let’s say you have tile that’s sold for $2.09 per square foot, and you offer a box of tiles that covers 35 square feet or a larger box that covers 60 square feet. Using the same pricing per square foot, you can easily enter the size of the box and the calculator will display the total price per box.
Looking to instead allow customers to tell you how much they need? The Measurement Price Calculator also allows you to sell products based on the price by unit of measurement (per square foot, cubic yard, etc). Perhaps you sell mulch with a price per cubic yard — you can allow the customer to provide an area and depth of mulch, and the calculator derives the total cubic yardage and final price. Configure any combination of units and customize labels to meet your store’s needs!
- Use the quantity calculator for products based on known product measurements (i.e. box of tiles)
- Use the pricing calculator for products priced and sold by the unit: foot, square meter, cubic yard, etc (i.e. garden mulch by volume, wallpaper by area)
- Product prices can be displayed per unit (e.g., “$1.75 / ft”, “from $3 / sq m”) in shop and on product pages
- Pricing calculator inventory support: product inventory can be managed “per unit”
- Pricing calculator dynamic weight: product weight can be set/calculated “per unit” for shipping
- Pricing calculator pricing table: set price breaks based on simple product measurement ranges
- Calculators available for all physical attributes: dimensions, area, surface area, volume, or weight
- Area, volume, perimeter, and surface area calculators all allow simple inputs, or entering length, width, and heigh independently
- Use any combination of units
- When allowing user-defined inputs, optionally include an overage estimate automatically NEW
- Customize measurement and pricing labels
- Set minimum and maximum values or the accepted step / increment on customers’ entered measurements NEW
- Variable products supported for per-unit pricing, shipping weight, and inventory
- Special “Room Walls” calculator for selling wallpaper
Just Some of the Possibilities:
- Tile sold by the box covering a certain area: demo
- Variable mulch sold by the cubic yard, with the customer supplying an area and depth: demo
- Colored fabric by the yard: demo
- Wallpaper by the roll based on room dimensions: demo
- Foam sold by the cubic foot
- Fencing for a garden perimeter
- Coffee sold by the pound
- Wrapping paper by surface area
- And more…
How to Get Started (in 5 minutes or less)
- Buy this extension
- Download and install into your WooCommerce store
- Define measurements to use under WooCommerce Settings > Products
- Check out our documentation for some setup tips
- Update Product Data in the Product Page under Measurement for all products that will use the calculator
- That’s it! Enjoy products priced automatically by measurement!
- Q: Can the measurement inputs be used for shipping dimensions, or overall shipping dimensions multiplied by the entered measurements? For example, if a customer enters that they need a cut of 0.5 ft x 4 ft of sheet metal, can I use this to set the shipping dimensions for the package?
A: Measurement Price Calculator has no “standard” way it can use shipping dimensions, so this is not something we currently plan to add to the plugin. For example, while this use-case may require the input measurements to be used “as-is”, what if the item can fit multiple “cuts” per box, stacking them vertically? What if the product can be rolled or folded, so that the measured dimensions are not the same as the eventual shipping dimensions? We also have no way to get shipping dimensions from some other input measurements, such as surface area or perimeter.
Since there are too many cases in which the shipping dimensions may not be equal to customer input, or multiples / ratios of the customer input, we have no reliable way to include this in the plugin. This would be better served by extending any box-packing algorithms your shipping methods may already provide instead via customization to suit your exact needs.
- Q: Can I use the Measurement Price Calculator with product shortcodes?
- Q: Can I set a pricing range for a product based on measurements? For example, can I set weight tiers that determine what measurements of the product customers can order?
A: Absolutely! You’re looking for a pricing table. You can set ranges for the measurements with a unique regular price and sale price for each measurement range. If you set a sale price, it will cross out the regular price and display the sale price (as usual).
If you set a minimum or maximum measurement, customers will not be able to order quantities outside that range and will get an error message to contact the store if they try to add the product to their cart.
- Q: Speaking of pricing tables, why can’t I opt to use one?
A: You must enable “Show Product Price Per Unit” and “Calculated Price” for your measurement-based product to enable the Pricing Table.
- Q: How do I add a new custom unit?
A: This can be done but requires some familiarity with PHP and the WordPress Action/Filter mechanism.
- Q: Can I place orders with measurement products on behalf of customers from the Admin and configure product dimensions, etc?
A: This is not currently possible directly from the admin. If you need to place an order on behalf of an existing customer we’d recommend using the User Switching plugin, which will allow you to log in as that customer and place an order from the frontend.
- Q: Can customers enter fractions as well as decimals?
A: Yep! We’ve added support for fractional measurements in version 3.4.0. Customers can enter 8.5 or 8 1/2 to order the same amount – there must be a space between the whole number and the fraction.